AI copywriting is the creation of written content via machine learning and natural language processing (NLP) software.
You can write anything from ad copy to blog posts with the help of AI copywriting.
AI copywriting software works by scraping the web (or analyzing a similar input) for related content, learning about it, and providing new copy based on these findings.
Below, we’ll cover how AI copywriting works, its limitations, and five of our favorite tools to get you started.
AI copywriting tools use NLP and machine learning software to understand how humans learn—and write.
These copywriting bots can only provide content based on what already exists online.
But they sift through this information far faster than humans can. AI copywriters scrape and analyze millions of webpages in seconds.
But keep in mind that there are limitations (which we’ll cover later). Because these bots reference existing content on the web, there’s no guarantee that the generated copy will be 100% accurate. You’ll need to review the results yourself.
However, using AI copywriting tools is a great start if you have writer’s block. Or want to generate new content ideas quickly.
Here’s an overview of how you can produce copy via AI tools:
- Choose a topic you want to write about
- Provide your copywriting tool with guidelines (like your content goals or desired tone of voice)
- Wait for the tool to generate your AI copy
- Review results for accuracy and desired tone
Here’s what it looks like in action:
And here’s a real-life example:
Say you’re writing a blog post and want an eye-catching headline. Give the AI copywriter your topic—or an example headline—to generate new ideas.
It’s like giving freelancers or in-house writers a content brief to guide their efforts. The more information the writer has, the better the copy will be.
As a result, AI copywriting tools are excellent partners for content writers (rather than replacements). These tools can help writers create content more quickly.
AI copywriting software can save you lots of time.
There’s no need to spend hours brainstorming the perfect content topic or headline. Tell the AI software what you want to write about, and it’ll generate content ideas in seconds.
You can even streamline more tedious writing tasks, like creating product descriptions for your ecommerce site.
Here are some more examples of what you can craft with the help of AI copywriting tools:
- Blog post ideas and outlines
- Title tags and meta descriptions
- Ad copy
- Social media posts
- Call-to-action (CTA) copy
By using an AI copywriter to handle time-consuming tasks, you’ll have more time to focus on larger projects that will have a bigger impact on your business.
Think of AI-generated content as a first draft. It’s important to fact-check, to match the copy to your brand voice, and to check for plagiarism. Because of this, we recommend assigning tasks that involve AI content to an experienced human writer.
How to Overcome AI Limitations
AI copywriting can be incredibly useful. But it has its limits.
Treat it like any other digital marketing tool—as a starting point.
Think about it this way:
Using an SEO tool doesn’t automatically make you an SEO expert. But it will make your life a lot easier.
The biggest limitation of AI copy?
AI copywriting tools analyze existing content written by human writers. Then take this information to produce something “new.”
Which means the copy isn’t truly 100% original.
That’s why it’s crucial to edit AI-generated copy and check for plagiarism before publishing.
But even Google believes there’s a place for AI-generated content on the web.
So long as the content is original, high-quality, and “demonstrates qualities of what we call E-E-A-T: expertise, experience, authoritativeness, and trustworthiness.”
Google’s advice is to take a people-first approach. The search engine giant provided a few examples of existing AI-generated content that don’t break any guidelines:
- Sports scores
- Weather forecasts
Using AI to generate content meant to manipulate search engine rankings, however, violates Google’s spam policies.
So when you use AI copy, ensure that you’re providing valuable content to your readers. Not trying to take a shortcut to rank higher.
Tip: Learn more about E-E-A-T and how you can use these factors to create great people-first content.
Advancements in AI
AI has recently made big strides in the world of marketing and content creation.
In May 2020, a paper titled “Language Models are Few-Shot Learners” described an AI model called GPT-3 175B. The model produces human-like text thanks to NLP advancements.
This model is the foundation of many AI copywriting tools on the market today.
Fast-forward to November 2022. OpenAI launched ChatGPT—a chatbot that acts as a human conversationalist. Users can ask ChatGPT questions and receive AI-generated answers within seconds.
SEOs and content creators have already found plenty of ways to leverage ChatGPT. Here are just a few:
- Brainstorming content ideas
- Rephrasing copy to avoid duplicate content
- Creating summaries of longer text
- Generating structured data
- Writing title tags and meta descriptions
ChatGPT uses AI technology to streamline writing tasks. Similar to spell check, AI is a tool that can help writers create content more effectively and efficiently.
But it’s worth repeating: Human supervision is crucial.
In fact, ChatGPT has caused quite a controversy in the SEO community already.
But Google Search Liaison Danny Sullivan clarified on Twitter that AI content itself isn’t inherently bad. Instead, “content written primarily for search engines rather than humans is the issue.”
So we recommend using AI tools as a starting point. Or to automate time-consuming, repetitive tasks. But use your judgment and only publish useful content that represents your brand well.
Want to try out an AI copywriter for yourself? Here are five of the best AI copywriting options (besides ChatGPT) to get you started:
Read on to find out the best AI copywriter for your business needs.
1. Semrush SEO Writing Assistant
Semrush’s SEO Writing Assistant is an all-in-one writing tool that provides real-time feedback as you write.
Plus, it has an AI copywriting function called Rephraser.
This feature helps you:
- Repurpose your original text to adapt it to different channels
- Beat writer’s block when rephrasing main ideas
- Avoid redundant copy
- Quickly rework text if the SEO Writing Assistant detects plagiarism
- Create a summary of a longer article
To access Rephraser, choose the text you want to analyze. You can import a URL or paste your copy directly into the tool.
Choose at least one target keyword and click “Get recommendations.”
SEO Writing Assistant will analyze your text and grade it based on readability, SEO, originality, and tone of voice.
Find the “Rephraser” button beneath your scores and above the tool’s recommendations:
Click it to rephrase, simplify, expand, or summarize existing content. Our AI algorithm generates content based on the text you provide in the left “Your text” section.
Let’s see how the text idea changes based on what you click—here’s the “Rephrase” feature in action:
And here’s the “Summarize” feature:
After using Rephraser, check your text’s originality score. The SEO Writing Assistant will alert you of suspected plagiarism.
If you’re optimizing an existing article, the tool may flag the live URL. Click the eye-shaped icon to the right of the text to exclude that domain:
Once you’ve reviewed all the tool’s writing and SEO suggestions, share the graded document with collaborators directly in Semrush. Or move it to Google Docs.
Simply click on the buttons in the upper right corner:
Use the SEO Writing Assistant directly in Semrush or as a WordPress plugin, Google Docs add-on, or Microsoft Word add-on.
Access Semrush’s entire Content Marketing Toolkit (which includes the SEO Writing Assistant) with a Guru or a Business subscription. You’ll also get access to dozens of other great SEO tools.
Each time you add a keyword to your content template in the SEO Writing Assistant, you use one “SEO Ideas unit.” Here are the prices and related SEO Ideas unit limits:
- Guru: $229.95 and 800 SEO Ideas units per month
- Business: $449.95 and 2,000 SEO Ideas units per month
If you have a Free or Pro account, you can generate a content template once per month.
Rephraser has separate limits:
- Pro: 100 words per month
- Guru: 1,000 words per month
- Business: 2,000 words per month
These limits are called “Smart Writer Words.” Guru and Business users can also purchase 10,000 additional Smart Writer Words for $20 per month.
Read our pricing page for full details. Or sign up for a free trial before you buy.
2. Jasper AI
Jasper is an AI copywriting tool that helps writers break through creative blocks to create content faster.
Here are some highlights:
- It produces AI content in over 25 languages
- It offers a plagiarism detection feature
- Writers can set the desired tone of the content
- Team members can collaborate on content and see updates in real time
- It integrates with third-party tools like WordPress, Google Docs, and HubSpot
And here are just a few ways Jasper recommends using its product:
- Create social media posts and captions
- Brainstorm angles for ad copy
- Generate blog posts and content ideas
- Come up with email subject lines
You can also use Jasper to generate AI art with no watermark. Use these images for ads, thumbnails, illustrations, and more.
Jasper “Boss Mode” plans start at $59 per month. Business subscriptions for more than five users begin at $499 per month.
You can try the product for free, but you’ll need to provide your credit card information. The trial period is five days. (Cancel before it ends to avoid a charge.)
Copy.ai assists you with anything from brainstorming topic ideas to crafting social media posts.
It also offers 90+ free copywriting tools.
These tools help with simple writing tasks like generating Instagram captions, rewriting specific paragraphs, writing meta descriptions, and more.
We tested it out by asking its free Instagram Caption Generator to create a caption about a new marketing course.
Describe your post and choose the desired tone. Then Copy.ai will generate a few options for you:
Copy.ai has two account options:
- Free: 2,000 words per month
- Pro: $49 for unlimited words
The Pro account provides five user seats and supports 25+ languages.
Copysmith helps enterprise and ecommerce marketers create, launch, and distribute content at scale.
You can use its pre-made templates. Or build your own template with the Custom Content Generator.
Here are a few pre-made template examples:
- Website content
- Ecommerce product descriptions
- Social media and ads
- Content enhancement
Copysmith also has a plagiarism checker that helps you identify unoriginal sentences.
The tool integrates with Hootsuite, Frase, WooCommerce, Google Ads, Google Docs, and Zapier, among other integrations.
Copysmith offers three plans that include monthly credits you use to generate copy:
- Starter: $19 and 20,000 words
- Professional: $59 and 80,000 words
- Enterprise: Customized plan, up to unlimited words
Wordtune is a simple AI copywriting tool that’s great for marketers on a budget.
But keep in mind that it doesn’t generate content from scratch. The tool mainly focuses on rewriting existing content.
Here are a few ways you can use Wordtune:
- Rephrase and rewrite your content
- Summarize long-form content
- Improve content flow without losing the original meaning
- Repurpose content across different channels
Here’s what Wordtune looks like in action:
The Chrome extension also makes it easy for you to improve your drafts on Google Docs, LinkedIn, and even Twitter.
Here are the three available Wordtune plans:
- Free: 10 rewrites per day
- Premium: $9.99 per month for unlimited use
- Premium for Teams: Custom plan based on your team size
How to Choose the Right AI Copywriting Software
Your perfect AI copywriting tool will depend on your business needs.
Here are a few things to consider as you weigh your options:
- SEO. Does your software measure the readability of your content? Or provide suggested secondary keywords? Your AI copywriter should be able to evaluate copy for SEO best practices.
- Tone of voice. You don’t want your AI-generated copy to sound robotic. We recommend opting for tools that can accurately judge tone of voice and provide recommendations.
- Ease of use. The point of AI copywriting is to save time. So it’s best to choose a user-friendly option with a simple interface.
- Plagiarism detection. Because of AI copywriting’s limitations, you’ll want to rely on a solid plagiarism checker.
- Integration. Check whether your tool of choice integrates with third-party apps. Many options (like Semrush’s SEO Writing Assistant) integrate with Google Docs, WordPress, and Microsoft Word.
- Export options. Ensure you can easily export your generated text to documents, spreadsheets, etc.
Ready to Try AI Copywriting Software?
AI copywriting software is not here to replace writers.
But it can help writers create content faster, increase traffic, generate leads, and drive sales.
Want to try out Semrush’s SEO Writing Assistant and the Rephraser feature? Start your free trial today.